September Newsletter from Delphine's
Delphine's Quilt Shop, LC
“Piecing the past and the present into heirlooms of tomorrow!"
114 N. Otsego Ave.Gaylord, MI 49735
10am to 5pm Monday - Friday, 10am to 4pm Saturday
Labor Day Weekend - Delphine's will be open on Saturday from 10am to 4pm and then again on Monday, the 5th from 11am to 4pm!
September Special - Empty a Bolt of Fabric from anywhere in the shop and take 20% off the entire piece!
Meeting Dates for August - All are Welcome to Attend these Meetings
Just Sew with Us!
Mondays - September 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th
10:30am - 4:30pm
1st Thursday - September 1st
10:30am - 1:30pm
2nd Thursday - September 8th
10:30am - 4:00pm
3rd Tuesday - September 20th
10:30am - 4:00pm
Patriotic Quilters (QOV)
3rd Thursday - September 15th
10:30am - 4:00pm
One Block Wonder Quilts (with or without panels)
Delphine enjoys fussy cut blocks of all style but she especially likes the One Block Wonder blocks. 7 panels or 6 repeats are needed to make a One Block Wonder quilt top. There are no Y seams and every quilt is unique. Join Delphine as she shares her knowledge about the One Block Wonder technique.
Wednesday's October 5th & October 19th
1:00pm to 5:00pm
$45.00 class fee, plus pattern and supplies
Easy Striped Table Runner with Delphine
After making over two-dozen of these runners Delphine knows a thing or two about putting them together. All you need is a border print, pattern and 60 degree ruler. This is a great beginner class!
Friday, September 9th
1:00 pm to 5pm
$25.00 class fee, plus pattern and supplies
Lakeshore Hosta with Jen with Jen
Jen will be teaching this 6-week class on foundation paper piecing using a pattern by Judy Niemeyer called Lakeshore Hosta. If you've tried foundation paper piecing in the past and really enjoyed having exact points then this class is for you! The class will cover how to read the pattern, cutting for all sections of the quilt, piecing curves, piecing straight lines, and assembly of the top.
This quilt finishes at 74" x 74".
Wednesday's October 12, 19, 26 & November 2, 9, 16
10:30am to 1:30pm
$90.00 class fee, plus pattern and supplies
As an added bonus, if you purchase ALL fabrics for the top of this quilt top from Delphine's, you can get 15% off your fabrics for the class.
Ursula and Emily Purse with Kathy
Kathy has made 6 of these super cute purses (with so many pockets!!!) and she is excited to show you just how fun they are to make. This is a 2-week class which will go in-depth on understanding the pattern, the fusing and cutting process and then purse assembly. This is a great way to learn how to put zippers in purses and Kathy will share with you her tips/tricks and shortcuts along the way. We're sure you'll want to make another when you finish.
Saturday's November 5th 10:30 am to 12:30 pm & 12th 10:30 to 3pm
Recipe of the Month
Butter Crust Dough
In a large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 cup sugar. Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, blend in 1 cup room temperature butter. Add 1 egg and continue mixing until a pliable dough forms. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2 cups fresh or frozen, unsweetened blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB grated lemon peel
2 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 TB sugar
1. In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, cornstarch and salt. Over low heat, stir until mixture is blended. Increase heat to medium. Stirring constantly, cook until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan; set aside.
3. Divide chilled dough into 3/4 and 1/4 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out large portion to 15-by11-inch rectangle for bottom crust. Roll dough around rolling pin; unroll into prepared baking pan. Dough will cover the bottom of the pan and extend 1 inch up each side.
4. Spoon cooled filling into pastry. Roll out reserved dough, 1 /4 inch thick; cut into 1/2" strips. Criss-cross strips over blueberry filling to make a lattice top. Sprinkle with 1 TB sugar.
5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lattice is golden brown. Cool to room temperature.